TfL is working on extending the Bakerloo line, therefore two brand new stations will be built!
When a new station is built, a new name also has to be selected. This time, TfL has given the public two name choices for each site. They would like the public to pick their preference for each.
Both stations are on Old Kent Road, therefore making the choice more difficult. The options they have provided are as follows:
- Site 1 is on the junction of Old Kent Road and Dunton Road and could be named either Old Kent Road or Burgess Park.
- Site 2 is on the junction of Old Kent Road and Asylum Road and could be named either Old Kent Road or Asylum.
The proposed extension will follow Old Kent Road
The extension is due to be opened in 2030, with an even further extension possible taking the line out to Beckenham Junction in Bromley. The names will be picked during a 10-week public consultation which will also cover points including:
- A new ticket hall at Elephant and Castle that will serve both the Northern and Bakerloo line.
- The tunnel route that will take the trains out towards Lewisham
- The location of the primary and secondary work sites
- The further extension up to Beckenham Junction
The consultation will end on the 22nd of December 2019!